Monday, May 12, 2008

Free To Be

The other day I randomly came across a video from Free To Be You and Me, a children's record that I used to listen to on tape when I was little. So I started looking up other videos from that record on youtube and I came across this one. I remember it very well, but now watching it as an adult and with all my current religious and philosophical background...it definitely takes on new meaning, and I can see how even that shaped me to become who I am today.

So anyway, here's the story of Dudley Pippin:



The point of view the principal puts forth is something that I think really gets at the heart of reality. Living in genuine truth is so...counter intuitive. It mixes us all up. By being afraid to be a sissy, we become sissies. The very things we do to protect ourselves from being bad or being seen as weak are actually what *make* us weak in the end!

And so when Dudley apologizes for being weak, the principal says that he has nothing to apologize for and that he did that very well! How many times do I in my own life apologize for being weak? All the time. But what makes me weak is my fear of being weak, not being weak itself. And I've hid from others, tried not to show my weaknesses. And now that I'm trying to be more open and vulnerable, I get all mixed up, just like Dudley.

But that's okay. I shouldn't go back around and put myself down for being all mixed up. Why should I be any different from anybody else? We're all all-mixed-up. And that too is a weakness I should admit to having.

And then, the music. The music says something that the principal can't say in words. It's sad *and* joyous. It's...all mixed up, just like life, just like us. But when it's presented through music, it just...makes sense. We grasp it easily, how life can be both at once, and that everything is really okay no matter what.

On a very deep and profound level, everything is alright. We all all connected to life, to truth, to each other, to God. Regardless of what we think we have to struggle with, we're okay. The struggles come because of our fears. It's the fear itself that causes the struggle. And really, all we have to do is let go, and let ourselves be mixed up for a bit. Relax and enjoy the music in all of its brilliant joys and discouraging lows. It's all part of the piece, it's all part of the symphony. That the symphony exists at all is a huge blessing, and at every point, regardless of whether its a happy point or a sad point, the symphony of life is breathtakingly beautiful.


I can't believe I was exposed to this at such a young age. No wonder I am how I am today! I should remember to thank my parents for this. :)

3 comments:

Scott said...

Thanks for this Kristen. The theme you brought is something I have to be reminded of consistently, so thanks for giving me a way to hold onto it. =)

Unknown said...

Damn straight!

Tis perhaps better to be open and vulnerable and amazed then to be closed and insulated and to hide in denial.

Things that are strong and rigid break whereas things that are soft and pliable bend for they are flexible.

:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I watched this film when I was fourteen in a bizarre elective in high school they probably don't offer any more because everything has become ultra-practical. I bought the movie for my kids and had totally forgotten about it until my daughter recently brought up her memories of it. I haven't watched it since the kids were really young. I'll watch it again and see how I relate to it now.